The boys track team placed 4th out of 19 teams participating. They were 1st in the 1-A division. The three teams ahead of them were powerhouses Tate of Pensacola, T. R. Miller of Brewton and Class 3-A Excel High School.
Boys who met the state qualifying standard were as follows:
- High Jump Martavius Payton & Jamarcus Sims
- 100 Meter Dash Christopher Mixon
- 200 Meter Dash Jamarcus Sims
- 400 Meter Dash Azenda Pennington
Standout performances included:
- 1st Place – Long Jump – Jamarcus Sims
- 2nd Place – Long Jump – Christopher Mixon
- 3rd Place – Long Jump – Martavius Payton
- 3rd Place – Shot Put – LeCedric Haynes
- 2nd Place – 100 Meter Dash – Christopher Mixon
Girls who met the state qualifying standard are as follows:
- 100 Meter Dash – Zykeria McClain
- 200 Meter Dash – Jakiriah Rivers
To date 7 boys and 7 girls have qualified to compete in the State Qualifying meet.
“After the track meet, one of our athletes came up to me and said, ‘I believe I want to run college track.’ He is one of our top runners and has the ability to run at a Division I level.” Superintendent John Strycker said. “He then expressed his desire to improve upon his ACT score for possible scholarships.”
“Like I said when we initiated this team after 30 years of absence - if we put time and resources into our kids, then greatness will follow. Our kids are of good character and are talented. We just need to give them a chance to show us,” continued Strycker.
I believe this early success say it all (with little equipment and no track for practice)…I just knew these kids would produce!”